Book Review : One Zentangle® A Day – A 6-week course in creative drawing for relaxation, inspiration and fun
I purchased this book after completing the basic Zentangle® course with CZT® Sandhya Manne in 2015. I had learnt a few patterns from her and was looking for a good book to teach me more concepts and patterns. I saw this book on Amazon and purchased the Kindle version. Though I generally prefer my books in physical/paper form, I bought the Kindle version of this so that I have access to it at any point in time without remembering to carry it around. I have Kindle installed on my phone, iPad as well as my laptop, so I can refer to it anytime I want to.
This book is written by a Certified Zentangle Teacher (CZT®) Beckah Krahula.
What you will find in this book –
- How she came to start learning and loving Zentangle Art
- What is Zentangle all about – a quick explanation
- Detailed description of what materials you would need to follow the lessons in the book
- A few instructions on getting started and what you can expect each day from the book
- Day wise lessons. Each day this book teaches you new patterns and techniques for 42 days.
- One drawing exercise a day – At the end of each lesson, there is a drawing exercise for us to do, incorporating the techniques taught and 3 different patterns for each day, with additional instructions wherever required.
- A whole lot of techniques – shading, how to create a specific effect, depth, add dimensions to your drawing, shadows, using colors, using black tiles, drawing Zendalas (Zentangle Mandalas) and other Zentangle Inspired Art(ZIA) etc
What I love about this book
What I like the most about this book is the way it is structured. It makes it very easy to follow and learn one aspect of this art daily in a systematic manner. At the end of 6 weeks, you will have really leveled up on this art form.
A couple of things that could have been better
One thing I would like to mention here is – I do find the tangles a little carelessly drawn in the step outs. I prefer referring to tanglepatterns.com instead for the same.
Do I recommend it?
Definitely. I do like this book and would recommend it to anyone starting out with Zentangle® Art. However, I would suggest you at least learn the basics from a certified teacher and then go on and learn further from other sources like this book.
As of today, the Paperback version costs around Rs 900 and the Kindle edition is for around Rs 700 . Though this book does seem to be a bit expensive, if you think about it, you are actually paying for a 6-week course, wherein you are learning something new everyday for 42 days. So in my opinion, it is totally worth it.
You can buy this book from Amazon here:
This is re-post of an earlier post.